2/21/2006

Gâteau à l'Orange -Orange cake, Part I

The first time I tasted this cake was when my then future husband made this cake for a dinner partying he was having at his house. It was our second meeting, no at all a date because there were 10 other people there, including my college friends who were studying with me in Tours back in 1993.

Actually he made both cakes, one lemon and one orange. When you see the recipe, you'll understand what a piece of cake it really is.

Several years ago, I wrote an article on it for the Charleston Gazette. That original article is what follows.

Yesterday, after serving the sourest clémentines for dessert, I decided that the best way to finish up the remaining kg of them that I had (that's 2.2 lb!) was to double up the orange cake recipe. My in-laws were coming for coffee, picking up our daughter and taking her for a few days. Remember, my girlfriend (I mean blog mentor) was here with her two children (that's a total of 4 hungry, walking stomachs) plus us adults. Wanting to be the 'hostess with the mostess' I thought, "Hey great, I serve the cake with the coffee and take care of the children's sacred goûter" -afternoon snack.

While the coffee was brewing, I juiced all the clémentines; Alison zested the remaining orange (I kind of forgot the zesting of one clémentine so she had to resort to finding the least saddest shriveled up orange in the basket!). I pulled out my robot (food processor) and asked her to hit me with the flour... uh.. Houston we've got a problem.

No flour left.

Uhg. So I chuckd the idea of doing the cake with the coffee. (Of course they arrived literally 2 minutes later so it wasn't going to be one of those "hostess with the mostess" moments!)

No problem. We'll go to the store later and get some more flour.

A few hours later we set off for the store, small grocery list in hand. You know the kind your write on a post it and stick to your cart handle. It literally had 5 items listed on it. It was missing the flour. But Alison remembered and as I walked by the butter section, I hestitated. Do I need butter? No. I am fine on butter. Got a whole tub of it in the fridge. I moved on.

We got home, I pulled out the recipe and noticed I needed 2/3 stick of butter (130 g?). I looked at my tub of butter along with Alison and we decided that yes, I had approximately that much.

"Yeah, but I've juiced enough clémentines for THREE cakes!"

Fine. I'm tired. It's been a great weekend but I no longer feel like cooking. I feel like curling up on the couch under a blanket and read my book until I fall asleep. Tomorrow I have to work. All. Day.

The cake will have to wait. Now what do I do with all that juice?

3 Comments:

Blogger misschrisc said...

I'm going to read part II but just wanted to comment that I lived in Tours two years and went to the l'Université Rablais for a short time (which I imagine was where you studied ;). It was a really a nice town and I made lots of friends while I was there who I still keep in touch with.

On to part II...

1:07:00 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I loved Tours! Great memories! Could we have crossed paths at la Place Plumereau and not have known it?

11:46:00 AM  
Blogger misschrisc said...

*lol* I loved sitting in Place Plume, people watching with a full stein of beer! Thank you for reminding me of that on this dreary February afternoon :)

3:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home