2/08/2006

Brie Quiche with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Tarragon



Quiche is to my cooking what meringues are to my mother in law. Yes, we all do a certain thing well, and do it often. Quiche is my staple recipe.

I find that it fits in easily to low-key meals. It’s fine room temperature as it is hot out of the oven. I put all kinds of things in my quiche. This one was inspired by an Ikea cookbook (go figure!) I picked up recently.

After showing it to Alison, she went home and made it herself, then ask me to please blog it! Thanks Alison, you had to wait weeks for this one, n’est-ce pas?

Use really ripe brie for the most flavor. Using a puff pastry instead of classic pie crust is an excellent change of pace to the quiche-regulars. Its light and flaky texture are delightful on the tongue (forget the hips!).

Leftover quiche can be frozen and also reserved as a starter course with salad greens or cut into bite-size pieces and served with drinks before dinner. A lovely way to unwind after a grueling week is to have a glass of crisp white wine (Bourguignon Alligote) wine chilled with bites of this quiche, warmed, a small bowl of garlic green olives, and some slices of smoked salmon with a twist of fresh lemon. Little appéro-dinatoire.

Brie and Sun Dried Tomato Quiche

250 g brie cheese
1 puff pastry pie crust
4 whole sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained
4 eggs
2 cups or ½ liter milk
¼ cup or 125 ml sour cream or crème fraîche
3 tablespoons fresh tarragon, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon sea salt or with fennel and herbs


Preheat oven to 375°F or 210°C. Slice tomatoes lengthwise in halves. Slice cheese into 8 slices, lengthwise, set aside.

Whisk together eggs and sour cream, add milk, sea salt, pepper and herbs and continue to whisk. Unroll pie crust and arrange cheese slices in pinwheel fashion from center. Top each cheese slice with a half a dried tomato. Pour egg mixture over cheese and tomatoes and bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cook slightly before serving.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Alison said...

Enfin!

When I made it, I had trouble getting even slices, so I ended up not really arranging it like that. LOL. And I chopped up the dried tomatoes and sprinkled them on the cheese.

But yeah, it was really good. Thanks for finally posting the recipe!

11:12:00 AM  
Blogger misschrisc said...

Yumm...definitely going to make this one!

8:10:00 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

It's a great recipe! It's a great change of pace using the puff pastry though it's devastating on the waistline! Let me know how it turns out.

8:13:00 PM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

This looks so good. My husband is in love with quiche and likes pretty much any recipe that includes it! I can't wait to try this, it looks divine.
-Sylvia
Cigar Ratings

7:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home