1/28/2006

Let It Snow!



"The weather outside is freightful... (Yes! Finally! Snow!)........ Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow. "

Why is it that snow brings out the kid in us? I love snow. We get so little here that it's a real event in western France to see fleuries. No snow days built in to the school system around here. Not many people have snow tires either. And forget about having any common sense when driving in the stuff. Nope, not here. Not in Western France!

But that it OK because when we do get some snow, it's a real childhood dream! Why is that? It's not like I'm going to get a day off from work if it snowed too much. I might even get stranded out in farmcountry trying to make my way home. It doesn't matter. I still love the stuff. I love the way the air smells before and during a good snow. Love it!

Coming from the West Virginia mountains, snow was always a treat because we could go sledding, outback in the neighbors yard. Great memories! I loved it. The brisk clean air, eating white snow, getting it stuck between your glove and your coat sleeve...you know that very sensitive part of your wrist that when the snow touches it, it feels like fire burning your skin?!

Snow. Snow. And More Snow.

Snow fleuries are enough either. Give me 6-8 inches! Let's build some snowmen, make snow angels, walk in the pouring snow for miles. Then come home and make homemade hot chocolate with melted marshmellows, snuggle up under wool sweaters and blankets and watch a movie.

Bear Soup

This recipe comes from my great grandmother from West Virignia. Everytime it snowed, she'd make this soup and homemande bread. A family tradition that my grandmother kept and my mother.

I always knew that on a snow day from school, after an afternoon outside in the snow with all the kids on the street, I'd come home to the smells of this soup and fresh baked bread. (That is probably why I love snow so much is the smell of these two recipes!)
I can't explain why it's name is called Bear Soup but that is what we refer to it as in our family. And since we've been doing it now for 4 generations (I'm passing it on to the 5th), I guess none of us wants to break the chain or the charm. Children of all ages love this soup, from 3 -93. (I guess after that you have to purée it because after 93 you might not have teeth to chew it with. But the potatoes are soft enough that you don't need to chew 'em!)
There is nothing that can complete with the delicious, inviting, homey, and loving smell of baking bread. The following recipe also comes from my maternal Mountaineer relatives. Whenever my mom makes this bread, we all know she's just saying, "I Love You All!" Thanks Mom. Thanks grandma Guinn.
With that I wish you un très bon weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home