4/26/2005

nothing like leftovers

Back onto my potato kick. So, what do you do with leftover cooked potatoes, well, you eat them silly! ha, ha, ha!

I love to take them, cut them into large chucks (a nice mouthful, and yes I have a big mouth!); toss with olive oil, herbs, Dijon mustard, salt and some grated parmesan and broil..... hmmm. Heaven. Less fattening than French Fries but all the same pleasure.

(Approximate cooking time is around 20-30 minutes.)

Cooked potatoes have the advantage of broiling up quickly and soaking up less oil, though for best results, make sure that you stir the potatoes several times while cooking so that all sides get crusty and crunchy.

I like to serve this with a veggie or "just greens" salad for a rounded meal, but.... you must serve these babies with a bearnaise-like sauce: fresh tarragon and mayo!

Sometimes I like to toss them into my dinner salad, meaning making a simple meal of main-course salad with any leftovers I can find in the fridge that doesn't need chucking (yet).

For the Tarragon mayo: I use a ratio of 1 tablespoon freshly, finely chopped tarragon for 1/3 cup mayonnaise. For best results, use a French style mayonnaise. The French really know mayonnaise, creamier, smoother and of course that "must be much, much more fattening" flavor.

I'm doing potato crusties again and here's tonight's twist:

For 8 medium red skinned potatoes:

1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablspoons parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 teaspoon fleur de sel sea salt
1 teaspoon thyme OR oregano
freshly ground pepper to taste

broiling for 25-30 minutes or until crusty and crunchy on all sides. Also serving creamy, homemade carrot soup. (details to come)

3 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Damn, but I loves me some taters, especially when they're cooked like this.

1:33:00 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

What Alison said!

3:12:00 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

Waiting on that carrot soup recipe.

And Lola is now featured on y blog.

8:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home